I love fall. I absolutely am head over heels in love with it. I wait for it all year, and when it gets here, I can’t stop smiling. Who’s with me?
I know most people love summer – with its long days, warm nights, seaside vacations and the likes – and I know they see fall as the end of summer, but to me, this is the most wonderful time of the year. I have my reasons, and I’m going to share them with you so you, too, can maybe start to appreciate it a little more. After all, finding happiness in everyday life is one of the greatest lessons I’m learning from minimalism. So here we go – here is my list of things to be happy about in the fall:
- That awesome autumn light. Look around you: when summer ends, the light gets softer and rounder – and even on beautiful sunny days you don’t get blinded by a light that is too harsh. It’s perfect to take pictures and gives a warm glow to everything around you. What’s not to love? Bonus: everyone looks better in pictures!
- Warm fall colors. Ever since I was a child, oranges, yellows and reds were my favorite colors, and in the fall there is plenty of them around us. When the leaves on the trees start turning different hues of yellow and red, I can’t stop marveling at their beauty and at the variety of colors Mother Nature has to offer us. So next time you are walking in a park or in the woods, stop to enjoy the colors: it’s definitely worth it – I promise!
- Autumn weather. I know, I know: you are going to point out that the weather in the fall can be cold and rainy. But it can be also sunny and beautiful, without being too warm. When the sky is blue in the fall, it’s terse and bluer than during the rest of the year. And when it’s raining out, there is no need to be grumpy: a rainy Sunday can be the perfect opportunity to spend time inside, with family and friends, or alone, taking a long bubble bath and reading a book.
- Autumn clothes. All my favorite fall outfits include riding boots which look great with skinny jeans, dresses, leggings, plaid shirts and pretty much everything you might want to wear once the temperatures drop. Love plaid shirts like I do? This one is my latest obsession… I have several, but this green and black one is this year’s favorite!
- Fall food. Besides the obvious fact that, thanks to thick sweaters, nobody is going to notice if you have put on a couple of pounds, eating in the fall is a real pleasure for me, as I adore pumpkins, chestnuts, stews, and other similar comfort foods. My absolute favorite is risotto, what about you? If you want to learn how to make a delicious one, you can see one of my recipes here.
- Fall activities. Sure, you can’t go swimming or to the beach, but there are many lovely things to do once summer is over. I love to light a fire in the fireplace, make some tea and read books, as well as taking long bubble baths. I also love organizing dinner parties or Sunday brunch with my friends because in the colder season we all seem to have more time to dedicate to one another, which is yet another perk of the fall to me!
- Autumn walks and hikes. In the fall the weather is perfect for walking and hiking because it isn’t too hot anymore but it isn’t snowy or too cold either.
- And last but not least… Fall travel destinations! Each year, in September, we pick a few cities we want to visit in the autumn and winter, because I really love how magical towns look once summer is over. Want to discover my favorites? Here are some: Riga (Latvia), Tallinn (Estonia), Dublin (Ireland) and Bratislava (Slovakia).
What about you? What are your favorite things about the fall?
Join our newsletter!
Never miss one of our travel guides!
Subscribe to our newsletter and you will get new food and travel content,exclusive restaurant and city guides, once a month in your inbox.